Monday, December 31, 2007

lighting ala strobist (ok, not nude)



Ok, this is not a nude photo, but it's my blog and I posted a nude shot earlier so what the hell...... I was asked to photograph a basketball game today and considering I have ZERO experience I didn't really want to but figured would give it a try after explaining they should have zero expectations (can only go up from there). Wasn't sure what to expect so brought my canon 100-400 lens (which ended up being a too long) and two canon 550ex with pocket wizards. I was told the gym was bright but was glad I brought the flash as when I got there there were no lights and I would have to be at ISO 1600 @ f4.0 for 1/125 (which was too slow for basketball - or at least I think so). there was a higher level behind the net (about 5 feet up) so I ended up with a speedlight to the left and right behind the net on light stands. Power was at full and triggered by pocketwizards (manual of course). Got a couple of good shots but next time would actually use my 17-85 as even at 100 I was too long from where I was standing. I think these ended up being iso 800 f4.0 for 1/400 (or thereabouts).

The hardest thing is that the action is so fast I had a really hard time focusing. I used servo mode on the camera but it sure is a lot harder than shooting a model standing still. I give these sport shooters a lot of credit.

No comments: